There are a lot of fun and interesting facts about laundry. Want to know about them? If yes, then read on:
1. During the early 19th century, people resorted to riverside washing. They would take their dirty clothes to the river and wash them using washing bat. People during those times would pre-treat the stains at home.
2. Before the 19th century, people made laundry soap at home by mixing fat, ash and salt. During the mid-1900s, with the advent of starch, soap and other washing aids, doing laundry become easier. Doing laundry once a week or on a particular “wash day” became a norm.
3. Do you know that the earliest washing machine was made during the 1700s? These washing machines were wooden boxes which were filled with clothes and then pushed with a hand rotary for rubbing and straining the dirty clothes.
4. During ancient times, white and light colored clothes, were soaked in Lye. This process was known as bucking and was used for both whitening and cleaning light colored clothes. To remove stains and brighten the clothes, Ash and Urine were mixed with lye. These also helped in removing the grease from the clothes.
5. People who had large houses and lawns would use drying frames or clothesline to dry the clothes. During poor weather, they would use ropes to dry clothes indoor.
6. Before the advent of washing machines, laundry in rural Europe and the Mediterranean regions were done in wash houses. Water from the local spring or river was channelized into these wash houses and were filled in basins. These basins were used for washing and rinsing. These wash houses were frequented by women and became a weekly meeting place where they would simply chat, gossip or discuss various issues.
7. It was only during the 19th century that the methods of doing laundry went through a complete transformation. The laundry process was further mechanized and washing machines were introduced. Most of the machines would have a handle connected with paddles inside a tub. In the early 20th century, the first electrically powered machines were developed.
Hopefully these pointers have helped you get a glimpse of the early history of doing laundry. In case you are looking for Retractable clothes drying stand, then check our clothesline. This is specially designed to fit into small spaces and is designed in a way that facilitates better airflow.